Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Monday, July 16, 2012

Jon Lord

RIP:

English rocker Jon Lord, who founded Deep Purple and co-wrote their most famous song, Smoke On The Water, has died aged 71.

The Leicester-born keyboard player, who had pancreatic cancer, died in London on Monday.

A statement on his website said he had passed "from Darkness to Light", and that he was "surrounded by his loving family" when he died.

Last year, Lord told fans he was "fighting cancer and will therefore be taking a break from performing while getting the treatment and cure".


Please watch this in tribute:

4 comments:

  1. Deep Purple - "Made In Japan" = best live rock album ever. Life got you down? Need a pick-me-up? Listen to "Highway Star" on that album. Lord, Blackmore, and the rest at their best.

    RIP Jon Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Made in Japan is certainly one of the best. I'm a big fan of later Deep Purple, with Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale, as well as the prime time line-up with Gillan and Glover, so there's some live stuff from that era I like too.

    I love the opening to Child in Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the guitar solo is amazing in that. I also highly recommend going on Youtube and typing in "Deep Purple NYC 1973" it's a live show at a small venue in NYC. Pick any of the song videos.

    Really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, Pogue. I am one of those people that has 35+ live Purple cds from Deep Purple Records, so I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete